Starter Life Sciences Teaching System with Integrated Hardware, Software, and Curriculum
With over five million successful lab hours in classrooms around the world, the BIOPAC Student Lab (BSL) Basic system offers the most meaningful, flexible lab experience for both students and instructors. BIOPAC systems provide a complete solution with hardware, software, and curriculum for higher education life science applications.
- Extensive curriculum with dynamic lessons
- Allows a true focus on the science
- Powerful customization options
- Dropbox™ support
- “TA in a box” instructor support
- Multiple laboratory disciplines
- Improves active learning
- Full system solution
- Research-grade technology
- Proven in labs worldwide
The Biopac Student Lab Basic system is an integrated solution that allows students to record data from their own bodies, animals, or tissue preparations. Easy to use yet powerful enough for advanced research applications, the Biopac Student Lab revolutionizes how students learn by eliminating complex setup tasks and letting them focus on learning the subject.
The Biopac Student Lab Basic System includes everything you need (except the computer) to to conduct basic physiology lab experiments including ECG, EEG, EMG, and EOG. The BSL System uses dynamic lessons with students as subjects to increase interest and retention. Students are guided by a detailed lab manual and full color onscreen guide, and analyze the results. Students can then compare data from different experimental conditions with others in their group and with all students in the lab.
If you start with a Basic system in your lab you can easily upgrade your hardware to create Advanced or Ultimate systems. You can also order transducers, electrodes and accessories a la carte to create a customized system for your needs.
The Biopac Student Lab Basic System includes:
- BSL 4 Software (Lessons and PRO)
- BSL Laboratory Manual MANBSL4
- Searchable PDF Manuals and Tutorials (BSL PRO Manual, Instructor’s Guide, Answer Key, etc)
- MP36 Data Acquisition Unit with USB Cable, DC Adapter (110V/60Hz or 220V/50Hz), and Cord (US or Euro)
- 2 x Electrode Lead Sets – SS2LB
- Disposable Electrodes (100/pk) – EL503
- Abrasive Pads (10/pk) – ELPAD
Perform 19 or more lessons with the Basic System:
- BSL1 Standard & Integrated EMG
- H07 EMG Contractions – Active Learning
- H27 Facial EMG
- H34 EGG Electrogastrogram (from Human)
- BSL5 Components of the ECG (Lead II)
- BSL6 Leads I, II, III & Einthoven’s Law
- H08 Dive Reflex – Active Learning
- H23 Signal Averaged ECG
- H32 Heart Rate Variability
- BSL3 EEG Relaxation & Brain Rhythms
- BSL4 Alpha Rhythms in the Occipital Lobe
- BSL10 Eye Movement, Saccades & Fixation
- H10 EEG & Hemispheric Asymmetry
- H12 EOG Saccades & Displacement
- H13 EOG Visual Tracking vs. Imagination
- H14 Ocular Fixation while reading
- H15 Ocular Fixation while viewing an image
- H20 BME Filtering
- H33 FFT Fast Fourier Transform
Biopac Student Lab software guides students through the lessons by using full color onscreen instructions, a detailed lab manual, and embedded procedure videos and data samples. The completed data reports can be saved or emailed to instructors for review. The electrodes and transducers employ sensors that allow the software to communicate with them to ensure that the students are using the correct devices and collecting good data. Once students have collected the data, they use tools to measure the amplitude and frequency, plus a wide range of other values from the electrical signals.
Students can compare their results to published normal values, or the values before and after a subject performed a specified task. They can even compare their results with other students in the lab. Results and measurements can be compiled into the data reports contained in the rich-text journals and saved or emailed to instructors. The journal includes formatting, editing and table tools with mathematical operations, formulas and functions.
BSL 4 is available in English with support for MP36, MP35 and MP45 hardware for Windows or Mac.
* BSL 3.7 is required for MP30 or translations—Chinese, French, Italian, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish.
The multi-level learning features of the BSL software let you control the material and method of each experiment!
Curriculum—Guided lessons feature on-screen instructions, video demonstrations, and sample data to ensure students record high-quality data. Teacher’s Guide includes sample questions and answers, normative values, and support tools.
Hardware—The heart of every Biopac Student Lab system is the data acquisition unit, which converts incoming signals into digital signals that can be processed by a computer.
The BSL System includes data acquisition hardware with built-in universal amplifiers to record and condition electrical signals from the heart, muscle, nerve, brain, eye, respiratory system, and tissue preparations. The data acquisition system receives the signals from electrodes and transducers. Biopac Student Lab software then displays the numbers as waveforms on the monitor. The data acquisition system connects to a PC running Windows® or Mac® OS X operating systems, via USB.
MP36/35 units have four input channels and the MP45 unit has two input channels. Electrodes, transducers, and/or input/output devices connect to the MP data acquisition unit so students can record data from their own heart signals (ECG), brain waves (EEG), muscle activity (EMG), eye movement (EOG), and more—or from animal or tissue preps.
One of the more complicated concepts for students to grasp is the fact that electricity is flowing throughout a living body at all times and that it is possible to use the signals to measure the performance and health of individual parts of the body. The Biopac Student Lab system helps to explain the concept and allows students to understand physiology.
- Click here for Curriculum
Thousands of undergraduate labs worldwide use the Biopac Student Lab to teach physiology, pharmacology, biology, neuroscience, psychology, exercise physiology, and biomedical engineering. Click here for the BSL User List.
Publishers have adopted the curriculum materials and included them in commercially available published lab manuals.