fNIR Education System lessons* can be used to record NIRS measurements at two wavelengths, 730 nm and 850 nm, with the following objectives:
- record from the forearm to study changes in Hb and HbO2 during a cuff experiment, to explore the effect of gravity on blood flow, and to investigate hemodynamic changes related to muscle activity.
- record from the forehead while performing various activities to explore the effects of head movement, blood pressure changes and skin effects on raw intensity measurements and also on Hb, HbO2 and HbT signals.
- record from the forehead while performing a cognitive test, namely the verbal fluency test, and obtain changes in HbO2 and Hb under different conditions within this cognitive test.
- record from the forehead while performing a test of different cognitive loads manipulated as single and dual task conditions.
*Lessons scheduled for Q1 2020.
Imager 2000E Specs
- Max Sources: 2
- Max Detectors: 6
- Max Sampling Frequency: 2 Hz
- Wireless: no
- Synchronization ports: no
- Dimensions: 106 mm x 32 mm x 106 mm
The fNIR data combines with other physiological variables such as ECG, respiration, cardiac output, blood pressure, electrodermal activity and stimulus response markers. AcqKnowledge software provides automated analysis tools for event-related potentials (ERP) and ensemble averaging. Combining the fNIR data with other physiological signals provides researchers with a detailed subject assessment.
fNIRSoft (fS) Software & COBI Studio
fS is a software package for use with the 2000E Imager for Education Systems. Use fS viewer and data management tools to process, analyze, and visualize functional near infrared (fNIR) spectroscopy signals. View data in real time and perform post-acquisition analysis.
COBI Studio “Cognitive Optical Brain Imaging” software is designed for performing serial experiments and makes it easy to start recording, and to save all experimental data (fNIR, synchronization markers from external presentation stimuli, etc.) in a standardized way.
For additional details, review these items under the Support tab:
- fNIR and COBI Studio User Guide for data collection guidelines
- fNIRSOFT User Manual for a step-by-step guide for using fS, with an introduction to fNIR technology and a discussion of the Modified Beer Lambert Law (MBLL) that is integral to the analysis of fNIR spectroscopy signals