Ultimate Hardware, Software, and Curriculum Life Science Teaching System
The Biopac Student Lab ULTIMATE system, as its names suggests, provides the ultimate teaching solution. The ULTIMATE system enables you to perform 18 of the Biopac Student Lab Software Guided Lessons, found in the BSL Laboratoy Manual, and allows you to take full advantage of the BSL PRO software for advanced student projects, research, and to create or use additional lessons.
- Full curriculum with dynamic lessons
- Includes all Basic and Advanced lessons
- Allows a true focus on the science
- Powerful customization options
- Dropbox™ support
- “TA in a box” instructor support
- Multiple laboratory disciplines
- Improves active learning
- Full system solution
- Research-grade technology
- Proven in labs worldwide
The ULTIMATE system includes all the features and functionality of the ADVANCED system, plus all of our most frequently used transducers and a human-safe stimulator. This system is ideal for multi-disciplinary labs where a number of different courses share the same lab equipment. The ULTIMATE System includes transducers suitable for animal and human use.
With over five million successful lab hours in classrooms around the world, the BIOPAC Student Lab (BSL) offers the most meaningful, flexible lab experience for both students and instructors. BIOPAC systems provide a complete solution with hardware, software, and curriculum for higher education life science applications.
The Biopac Student Lab Ultimate system is an integrated solution that allows students to record data from their own bodies, animals, or tissue preparations. Easy to use yet powerful enough for advanced research applications, the Biopac Student Lab revolutionizes how students learn by eliminating complex setup tasks and letting them focus on learning the subject.
Free Student Download – Students can use this free BSL software to prepare for class by reading lessons or watching videos, and can also analyze, share, and submit data.
BSL Teaching Systems provide state-of-the-art technology, intuitive software, and industry standard hardware come together to provide world-class teaching solutions for the life sciences. Each system comes complete with:
Biopac Student Lab software—Powerful and flexible, yet easy to use, BSL 4 software allows students to get started right away. To run a lesson, simply select it from a menu. With easy software and hardware setup, students can focus on scientific principles, not procedure. BSL is provided in English and French; Translations of BSL 3.7.3 for Windows are available in Chinese (Traditional), Italian, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish.
The Biopac Student Lab system, BSL 4 greatly improves the lab experience with a dynamic user interface and enhanced capabilities.
Students can now take advantage of multi-media lessons with:
- Full color onscreen guides
- Embedded procedure videos
- Data samples to ensure good data collection
BSL 4 also includes new advanced analysis options including:
- Heart Rate Variability
- Cycle detector (Find Peak) updates
- Enhanced event marker and preset options
Curriculum—Guided lessons feature on-screen instructions, video demonstrations, and sample data to ensure students record high-quality data. Teacher’s Guide includes sample questions and answers, normative values, and support tools.
Hardware—The heart of every Biopac Student Lab system is the data acquisition unit, which converts incoming signals into digital signals that can be processed by a computer.
The Biopac Student Lab Ultimate System is extremely flexible and can be used across multiple disciplines including human physiology, pharmacology, psychophysiology, exercise physiology and a great many more.
The Biopac Student Lab Ultimate System Includes:
- MP36 Data Acquisition Unit with USB Cable, DC Adapter (110V/60Hz or 220V/50Hz) & Cord (US or Euro)
- BSL 4 Software (Lessons and PRO)
- MANBSL4 BSL 4 Laboratory Manual (English) – includes introductory physiology text, guided procedure, and data analysis for BSL Lessons L01-L20
- Searchable PDF Manuals and Tutorials (BSL PRO, Instructor’s Guide, Answer Key, etc.)
- SS2LB Shielded Lead Set x2
- SS29L Multi-lead ECG Cable
- EL503 Disposable vinyl electrodes (100/pk)
- ELPAD Electrode Abrading Pads (10/pk)
- GEL1 Electrode Gel (57 g tube)
- SS57LA EDA w/Electrode Pinch Leads
- EL507 EDA Disposable Isotonic Gel. Electrodes (100/pk)
- STMHUM Human-Safe Stimulator 0-100 V
- SS10L Push-button Hand Switch
- SS11LB Medium Airflow Transducer
- AFT36 Disposable Bacteriological Filter with Integrated Mouthpiece
- AFT3 Disposable Noseclips (10/pk)
- SS13L Pressure Transducer
- SS19LA Blood Pressure Cuff Transducer (on-screen gauge)
- SS30L Stethoscope
- OUT1A Headphones
- SS61L Finger Twitch Transducer
- SS25LB Hand Dynamometer
- SS4LA Photoplethysmogram (Pulse) Transducer
- SS5LB Respiratory Effort Transducer
- SS6L Fast Response Temperature Transducer
- PAPER1 Colored paper for Visual Stim (9 pk)
- TAPE1 Single-sided Adhesive Tape
Perform 40 or more lessons with the Ultimate System:
L01 Standard & Integrated EMG
L02 Motor Unit Recruitment & Fatigue
H06 Finger Twitch
H07 EMG Contractions—Active Learning
H27 Facial EMG
H34 Electrogastrogram (from human)
H36 Muscular Biofeedback
L05 Components of the ECG (Lead II)
L06 Leads I, II, III & Einthoven’s Law
L07 ECG & Pulse
L16 Blood Pressure & Korotkoff
L17 Heart Sounds & Cardiac Events
H01 12-Lead ECG
H04 Blood Pressure (Isometric or Straining exercise)
H05 WAnT Wingate Test
H08 Dive Reflex—Active Learning
H23 Signal Averaged ECG
H32 Heart Rate Variability
BSL8 Respiratory Cycle
BSL12 Pulmonary Function: Vol. & Capacities
BSL13 Pulmonary Flow Rates: FEV and MVV
BSL15 Aerobic Exercise Physiology
L03 EEG Relaxation & Brain Rhythms
L04 Alpha Rhythms in the Occipital Lobe
L09 GSR and Polygraph
L10 EOG Eye Movement, Saccades & Fixation
L11 Reaction Time & Learning
L14 Biofeedback: Relaxation & Arousal
H03 Nerve Conduction (ulnar nerve)
H10 EEG & Hemispheric Asymmetry
H11 Mirror TestEDA Sensory motor learning
H12 EOG Saccades & Displacement
H13 EOG Visual Tracking
H14 Ocular Fixation while reading
H15 Ocular Fixation while viewing an image
H16 Reaction Time
H02 Compartmental Modeling
H33 FFT Fast Fourier Transform
The BSL Ultimate System includes data acquisition hardware with built-in universal amplifiers to record and condition electrical signals from the heart, muscle, nerve, brain, eye, respiratory system, and tissue preparations. The data acquisition system receives the signals from electrodes and transducers. Biopac Student Lab software then displays the numbers as waveforms on the monitor. The data acquisition system connects to a PC running Windows® or Mac® OS X operating systems, via USB.
MP36/35 units have four input channels and the MP45 unit has two input channels. Electrodes, transducers, and/or input/output devices connect to the MP data acquisition unit so students can record data from their own heart signals (ECG), brain waves (EEG), muscle activity (EMG), eye movement (EOG), and more—or from animal or tissue preps.
- Click here for Curriculum
Thousands of undergraduate labs worldwide use the Biopac Student Lab to teach physiology, pharmacology, biology, neuroscience, psychology, exercise physiology, and biomedical engineering. Click here for the BSL User List.
Publishers have adopted the curriculum materials and included them in commercially available published lab manuals.