Psychophysiology & Neurophysiology
Integrated, Flexible Psychophysiology & Neurophysiology Teaching System
Present a wide array of psychophysiology and neurophysiology experimental techniques with the Biopac Student Lab Psychophysiology & Neurophysiology Teaching System. Lessons guide students through recording and analysis modalities to provide building blocks that empower students to perform increasingly advanced studies. Acquire signals for ECG, EDA/GSR, EEG, EMG, EOG and EGG. Combine physiological data with trigger information time-synced to advanced stimulus presentation paradigms. Increase your lab options by adding noninvasive cardiac output and beat-by-beat blood pressure and analyze data while students perform tasks or respond to a presentation.
- 28 lessons targeted for Psychophys. and Neurophys.
- Add three lessons with the transducer accessory pack BSLPSY-TA
- ECG, EEG, EMG, EOG and EGG
- Autonomic Nervous System
- Auditory and Visual Evoked Response
- Event Related Potential
- Startle Eye Blink Experiments
- Nerve Conduction
- Sensory Motor Learning
- Electrodermal Activity (GSR)
- Heart Rate Variability
- Visual Presentation System (SuperLab and E-Prime)
- Cardiac Output (Bioimpedance)
- Pre-ejection Period (PEP)
With over five million successful lab hours in classrooms around the world, the BIOPAC Student Lab (BSL) offers the most meaningful, flexible lab experience for both students and instructors. BIOPAC systems provide a complete solution with hardware, software, and curriculum for higher education life science applications.
The BSL Psychophysiology & Neurophysiology system includes the following:
- BSL 4 Software (Lessons and PRO)
- BSL Laboratory Manual MANBSL4
- Searchable PDF Manuals and Tutorials (BSL PRO, Instructor’s Guide, Answer Key, etc.)
- MP36 Data Acquisition Unit with USB Cable, DC Adapter (110V/60Hz or 220V/50Hz) & Cord (US or Euro)
- 2 x Electrode Lead Set SS2LB
- Disposable Electrodes (100/pk) – EL503
- Abrasive Pads (10/pk) – ELPAD
- EDA (GSR) Lead Set – SS57L
- EDA (isotonic gel, 100/pk) Electrodes – EL507
- BP Cuff Transducer – SS19L
- Electronic Stethoscope Transducer – SS30L
- Hand Switch – SS10L
- Headphones – OUT1
- Pulse Transducer – SS4LA
- Respiratory Effort Transducer – SS5LB
- Colored Paper Set (for BSL Lesson 9) – PAPER1
Perform 28 or more lessons with this core package:
- BSL1 Standard & Integrated EMG
- H07 EMG Contractions – Active Learning
- H27 Facial EMG
- H34 EGG Electrogastrogram
- H36 Muscular Biofeedback
- BSL5 Components of the ECG (Lead II)
- BSL6 Leads I, II, III & Einthoven’s Law
- BSL7 ECG & Pulse
- BSL16 Blood Pressure & Korotkoff Sounds
- BSL17 Heart Sounds & Cardiac Events
- H08 Dive Reflex – Active Learning
- H23 Signal Averaged ECG
- H32 Heart Rate Variability
- BSL3 EEG Relaxation & Brain Rhythms
- BSL4 Alpha Rhythms in the Occipital Lobe
- BSL9 GSR and Polygraph
- BSL10 EOG Eye Movement, Saccades & Fixation
- BSL11 Reaction Time
- BSL14 Biofeedback: Relaxation & Arousal
- H10 EEG & Hemispheric Asymmetry
- H11 Mirror TestEDA Sensory motor learning
- H12 EOG Saccades & Displacement
- H13 EOG Visual Tracking vs. Imagination
- H14 Ocular Fixation while reading
- H15 Ocular Fixation while viewing an image
- H16 Reflexes & Reaction Time – Active Learning
- H24 Habituation
- H02 Compartmental Modeling
- H20 BME Filtering
- H33 FFT Fast Fourier Transform
The Biopac Student Lab system is an integrated solution that allows students to record data from their own bodies or tissue preparations. Easy to use yet powerful enough for advanced research applications, the Biopac Student Lab revolutionizes how students learn by eliminating complex setup tasks and letting them focus on learning the subject.
Free Student Download – Students can use this free BSL software to prepare for class by reading lessons or watching videos, and can also analyze, share, and submit data.
BSL Teaching Systems provide state-of-the-art technology, intuitive software, and industry standard hardware come together to provide world-class teaching solutions for the life sciences. Each system comes complete with:
Biopac Student Lab software—Powerful and flexible, yet easy to use, BSL 4 software allows students to get started right away. To run a lesson, simply select it from a menu. With easy software and hardware setup, students can focus on scientific principles, not procedure. BSL is provided in English and French; Translations of BSL 3.7.3 for Windows are available in Chinese (Traditional), Italian, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish.
The Biopac Student Lab system, BSL 4 greatly improves the lab experience with a dynamic user interface and enhanced capabilities.
Students can now take advantage of multi-media lessons with:
- Full color onscreen guides
- Embedded procedure videos
- Data samples to ensure good data collection
BSL 4 also includes new advanced analysis options including:
- Heart Rate Variability
- Cycle detector (Find Peak) updates
- Enhanced event marker and preset options
Biopac Student Lab software guides students through the lessons by using full color onscreen instructions, a detailed lab manual, and embedded procedure videos and data samples. The completed data reports can be saved or emailed to instructors for review. The electrodes and transducers employ sensors that allow the software to communicate with them to ensure that the students are using the correct devices and collecting good data. Once students have collected the data, they use tools to measure the amplitude and frequency, plus a wide range of other values from the electrical signals.
Students can compare their results to published normal values, or the values before and after a subject performed a specified task. They can even compare their results with other students in the lab. Results and measurements can be compiled into the data reports contained in the rich-text journals and saved or emailed to instructors. The journal includes formatting, editing and table tools with mathematical operations, formulas and functions.
BSL 4 is available in English with support for MP36, MP35 and MP45 hardware for Windows or Mac.
* BSL 3.7 is required for MP30 or translations—Chinese, French, Italian, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish.
Curriculum—Guided lessons feature on-screen instructions, video demonstrations, and sample data to ensure students record high-quality data. Teacher’s Guide includes sample questions and answers, normative values, and support tools.
Hardware—The heart of every Biopac Student Lab system is the data acquisition unit, which converts incoming signals into digital signals that can be processed by a computer.
The BSL System includes data acquisition hardware with built-in universal amplifiers to record and condition electrical signals from the heart, muscle, nerve, brain, eye, respiratory system, and tissue preparations. The data acquisition system receives the signals from electrodes and transducers. Biopac Student Lab software then displays the numbers as waveforms on the monitor. The data acquisition system connects to a PC running Windows® or Mac® OS X operating systems, via USB.
MP36/35 units have four input channels and the MP45 unit has two input channels. Electrodes, transducers, and/or input/output devices connect to the MP data acquisition unit so students can record data from their own heart signals (ECG), brain waves (EEG), muscle activity (EMG), eye movement (EOG), and more—or from animal or tissue preps.
One of the more complicated concepts for students to grasp is the fact that electricity is flowing throughout a living body at all times and that it is possible to use the signals to measure the performance and health of individual parts of the body. The Biopac Student Lab system helps to explain the concept and allows students to understand physiology.
- Click here for Curriculum
Thousands of undergraduate labs worldwide use the Biopac Student Lab to teach physiology, pharmacology, biology, neuroscience, psychology, exercise physiology, and biomedical engineering. Click here for the BSL User List.
Publishers have adopted the curriculum materials and included them in commercially available published lab manuals.
Part #: BSLPSY-W, BSLPSY-M
BSL System with MP36 and hardware for 12 guided lessons plus 16 dynamic lessons and student-designed Psychophysiology experiments. Present a…
Part #: BSLPSY-TA-MP36/35
Includes this hardware: SuperLab Stimulus Presentation System STP35W Adds these BSL PRO Lessons (see Curriculum for details): H30 Stroop Effect…