Pharmacology and Toxicology
Flexible, Integrated Pharmacology and Toxicology Teaching System
The Biopac Student Lab Pharmacology and Toxicology teaching System combines a range of experiment options for cardiovascular hemodynamics, respiratory system & pulmonary function, in vitro tissue and cellular studies. The new range of tissue bath stations provides an extra level of functionality for in vitro tissue experiments. Powerful, real-time analysis functions for pressure recordings include systolic, diastolic, mean BP, and dP/dt max and min. Similar automated functions are available to perform force analysis functions including peak, duration and derivative. Add the bioimpedance cardiac output module to record stroke volume and cardiac output.
- 32 lessons targeted for Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Add one lesson with the transducer accessory pack BSLAPH-TA
- ECG, EEG, EGG, EOG and EMG
- Tissue Bath Stations (single or multi-bath)
- Stimulator (direct or field)
- Cardiac Output
- Dose Response Studies
- Smooth Muscle
- Cardiac Muscle
- Skeletal Muscle
- Epithelial Transport
- Ion Transport/Ussing Chamber Measurements
With over five million successful lab hours in classrooms around the world, the BIOPAC Student Lab (BSL) offers the most meaningful, flexible lab experience for both students and instructors. BIOPAC systems provide a complete solution with hardware, software, and curriculum for higher education life science applications.
The BSL Pharmacology and Toxicology system comes with the following:
- BSL 4 Software (Lessons and PRO)
- BSL Laboratory Manual MANBSL4
- Searchable PDF Manuals and Tutorials (BSL PRO, Instructor’s Guide, Answer Key, etc.)
- MP36 Data Acquisition Unit with USB Cable, DC Adapter (110V/60Hz or 220V/50Hz) & Cord (US or Euro)
- 2 x High-Impedance Cable – BSLCBL8
- Disposable Electrodes (100/pk) – EL503
- Abrasive Pads (10/pk) – ELPAD
- Air Flow Transducer – SS11LA
- Disposable Bacterial Filters (10/pk) – AFT1
- Disposable Mouthpieces (10/pk) – AFT2
- Disposable Noseclips (10/pk) – AFT3
- Calibration Syringe – AFT6A
- Force Transducer (200 g) – SS65L
- BSL Stimulator – BSLSTM
- Stimulator Needle Electrodes – ELSTM2
- 3 x Needle Electrodes – EL452
- Nerve Chamber – NERVE2
- Nerve Stimulating Cable – BSLCBL2A
- Nerve Recording Cable – BSLCBL4B
Perform 30 or more lessons with this core package:
- A03 Frog Gastrocnemius
- A05 Visceral Smooth Muscle
- A11 Resting Potential from Crawdad Manual
- A15 Earthworm Smooth Muscle
- BSL1 Standard & Integrated EMG
- H07 EMG Contractions Active Learning
- H27 Facial EMG
- H34 EGG Electrogastrogram
- A04 Frog Heart
- A09 Turtle Heart
- BSL5 Components of the ECG (Lead II)
- BSL6 Leads I, II, III & Einthoven’s Law
- H08 Dive Reflex—Active Learning
- H23 Signal Averaged ECG
- H32 Heart Rate Variability
- BSL12 Pulmonary Function: Vol. & Capacities
- BSL13 Pulmonary Flow Rates: FEV and MVV
- A01 Frog Pith & Prep
- A02 Frog Nerve
- A06 Cockroach Nerve
- A08 Earthworm Action Potential
- A14 CPG Hornworm
- BSL3 EEG Relaxation & Brain Rhythms
- BSL4 Alpha Rhythms in the Occipital Lobe
- BSL10 EOG Eye Movement, Saccades & Fixation
- H10 EEG & Hemispheric Asymmetry
- H12 EOG Saccades & Displacement
- H13 EOG Visual Tracking vs. Imagination
- H14 Ocular Fixation while reading
- H15 Ocular Fixation while viewing an image
The Biopac Student Lab system is an integrated solution that allows students to record data from their own bodies or tissue preparations. Easy to use yet powerful enough for advanced research applications, the Biopac Student Lab revolutionizes how students learn by eliminating complex setup tasks and letting them focus on learning the subject.
Free Student Download – Students can use this free BSL software to prepare for class by reading lessons or watching videos, and can also analyze, share, and submit data.
BSL Teaching Systems provide state-of-the-art technology, intuitive software, and industry standard hardware come together to provide world-class teaching solutions for the life sciences. Each system comes complete with:
Biopac Student Lab software—Powerful and flexible, yet easy to use, BSL 4 software allows students to get started right away. To run a lesson, simply select it from a menu. With easy software and hardware setup, students can focus on scientific principles, not procedure. BSL is provided in English and French; Translations of BSL 3.7.3 for Windows are available in Chinese (Traditional), Italian, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish.
The Biopac Student Lab system, BSL 4 greatly improves the lab experience with a dynamic user interface and enhanced capabilities.
Students can now take advantage of multi-media lessons with:
- Full color onscreen guides
- Embedded procedure videos
- Data samples to ensure good data collection
BSL 4 also includes new advanced analysis options including:
- Heart Rate Variability
- Cycle detector (Find Peak) updates
- Enhanced event marker and preset options
Biopac Student Lab software guides students through the lessons by using full color onscreen instructions, a detailed lab manual, and embedded procedure videos and data samples. The completed data reports can be saved or emailed to instructors for review. The electrodes and transducers employ sensors that allow the software to communicate with them to ensure that the students are using the correct devices and collecting good data. Once students have collected the data, they use tools to measure the amplitude and frequency, plus a wide range of other values from the electrical signals.
Students can compare their results to published normal values, or the values before and after a subject performed a specified task. They can even compare their results with other students in the lab. Results and measurements can be compiled into the data reports contained in the rich-text journals and saved or emailed to instructors. The journal includes formatting, editing and table tools with mathematical operations, formulas and functions.
BSL 4 is available in English with support for MP36, MP35 and MP45 hardware for Windows or Mac.
* BSL 3.7 is required for MP30 or translations—Chinese, French, Italian, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish.
Curriculum—Guided lessons feature on-screen instructions, video demonstrations, and sample data to ensure students record high-quality data. Teacher’s Guide includes sample questions and answers, normative values, and support tools.
Hardware—The heart of every Biopac Student Lab system is the data acquisition unit, which converts incoming signals into digital signals that can be processed by a computer.
The BSL System includes data acquisition hardware with built-in universal amplifiers to record and condition electrical signals from the heart, muscle, nerve, brain, eye, respiratory system, and tissue preparations. The data acquisition system receives the signals from electrodes and transducers. Biopac Student Lab software then displays the numbers as waveforms on the monitor. The data acquisition system connects to a PC running Windows® or Mac® OS X operating systems, via USB.
MP36/35 units have four input channels and the MP45 unit has two input channels. Electrodes, transducers, and/or input/output devices connect to the MP data acquisition unit so students can record data from their own heart signals (ECG), brain waves (EEG), muscle activity (EMG), eye movement (EOG), and more—or from animal or tissue preps.
- Click here for Curriculum
Thousands of undergraduate labs worldwide use the Biopac Student Lab to teach physiology, pharmacology, biology, neuroscience, psychology, exercise physiology, and biomedical engineering. Click here for the BSL User List.
Publishers have adopted the curriculum materials and included them in commercially available published lab manuals.
Part #: BSLPHA-W, BSLPHA-M
BSL System with MP36 and hardware for 8 guided lessons plus 21 dynamic lessons and student-designed Pharmacology experiments. The BSL…
Part #: BSLPHA-TA
The pharmacology and toxicology transducer accessory pack compliments the BSL Pharmacology & Toxicology teaching system. The TA pack includes this…